I’m Selling My House, Do I Need An EPC?

July 1, 2019

An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is an asset rating in the UK that tells you how energy efficient your property currently is and what sort of impact it has on the environment as a result.

Put simply, it is a review of your home’s energy credentials. Your EPC will give an indication of how much it will cost to heat and power your home. Details are also listed on potential savings that could be made should you improve the energy efficiency of your household.

In addition, an EPC will also provide a summary of energy performance related features. As a result, this will give you an indication of how energy efficient different aspects of your home are. It can act as a useful guide to help you work out which areas to focus on first when improving your home’s efficiency. Consider making some improvements before you put your property on the market if your home’s EPC rating is poor. By the same token, should you carry out any of the recommended improvements, it is worth having your property regraded. The higher your home’s EPC the higher your chances of selling quickly, and for its maximum value.

Who carries out an EPC assessment?

EPCs in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland are carried out by Domestic Energy Assessors and in Scotland by government-approved organisations. The EPC will be graded A to G, with A being the best. This is the same rating system as the electrical appliances in your home. You may have seen this rating scale on large white goods, such as washing machines, fridges, or freezers. There will also be a number from 1 – 100, where a higher number signifies that the home is more efficient, and the fuel bills less.

The EPC rating depends on the amount of energy consumed by the home. It also takes into account the level of carbon dioxide emissions over the year. Once issued an EPC will be valid for a 10 year period, although you can have it reviewed if you make improvements to your home. Similarly, you may wish to have your home re-rated if you make structural changes (for example an extension). In addition, you may also want to have it reviewed a few months after you have a new boiler installed. Especially if the old boiler was the cause of a low EPC rating.

Anyone can access your EPC Online via the Ministry of Housing, Communities and  Local Government’s website. This may come in handy if you are also looking for potential new homes.

Do I need an EPC when selling my home?

EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)

In short, Yes. As a general rule, every home being sold or rented needs an EPC. There are a few exceptions. For example, an EPC is not required for a room put up for rent by a resident landlord. Listed buildings may also be exempt if they can’t be upgraded with energy-saving improvements such as double glazing.

If you own a commercial property, you also need to have an EPC if any of the following applies to you:

  • You rent out or sell your premises.
  • A building under construction is completed.
  • Changes are made to the parts of the building for separate occupation, involving any changes or additions to heating, air and ventilation systems.

What are the typical weak spots?

Typically, EPCs identify a few of the same weak spots during a visit. Getting these sewn up can save you a lot of time. And if you’re planning years in advance (planning to downsize in retirement perhaps) then this can be done over a few years.

So what are those weak spots?

  • Lack of in-wall insulation.
  • Not enough, or lack of insulation in the loft – stuff your loft with great quality insulation. not just a little.
  • Lack of double glazing in all windows (just one window can let you down).
  • An out-dated boiler lacking thermostat and thermostatic valves. House Fox will be happy to arrange a credited domestic energy assessor to review your home or rental property, and issue an EPC. There will be a charge to cover the assessor’s costs. Please contact us for a quote.

Disclaimer: All advice on this site is given ‘as is’ House Fox Estate Agents are not responsible for any losses you may make subsequent to following the advice on this website, we advise you to always do your own research in full before you act.